What is a ‘First Look’?
In the world of weddings, there’s countless traditions and rituals designed to enhance the beauty and significance of the day. One such captivating moment that’s gaining popularity among modern couples, is the ‘First Look’. This is where, on the morning of their wedding day, a couple do away with the tradition of not seeing each other and spend a bit of time together before the ceremony. For wedding photographers, capturing this provides genuine reactions that make for some wonderful natural photographs.
Although perhaps not for everyone, the First Look offers a variety of benefits for those seeking a more personal, emotional interaction prior to the ceremony. In this blog, we’ll delve into the intricacies of a First Look, exploring its origins, the advantages it presents and how it can be seamlessly incorporated into your wedding day timeline.
As a Wedding Photographer in Hertfordshire, Meachen & Shorey Photography is dedicated to preserving the memories of couples in the home counties, and beyond, documenting your story in its natural and documentary-style photography.
The Origins of the First Look
Traditionally, it was believed to be bad luck for the couple to see each other before their wedding ceremony, thus maintaining the element of surprise as the bride, or one of the partners, walked down the aisle. However, the First Look has evolved as a modern alternative, offering couples a unique opportunity for special moments and an emotional interaction in private before the wedding proceedings commence.
The First Look originated in the United States, with the idea stemming from the appeal of capturing the partners’ genuine reactions upon seeing each other for the first time on their wedding day. This trend has now gained popularity throughout the world, including the home counties of Hertfordshire and throughout the United Kingdom. Many couples embrace the First Look as a personalised addition to their special day, creating heartfelt memories to cherish forever.
The Benefits of a First Look
Choosing to include a First Look in your wedding day allows for numerous benefits, including:
1. Emotional Connection: The First Look provides an opportunity for you and your partner to share raw, unfiltered emotions in a private setting. The initial reaction upon seeing each other, dressed and ready for the ceremony, creates a uniquely intimate atmosphere, heightening the anticipation and excitement.
2. Reducing Pre-Wedding Jitters: Wedding days are often filled with nerves and anticipation. The First Look offers a brief respite from the frenzy of the day, enabling both you and your partner to calm any pre-wedding nerves and enjoy a moment of togetherness before the ceremony unfolds.
3. Beautiful Photography: The First Look provides an excellent opportunity for your wedding photographer to capture authentic, candid images of you and your partner during an intimate and emotionally charged moment. This imagery will be remembered as a well-preserved memory of the love and anticipation shared on your special day.
4. Enhanced Timeline: Incorporating a First Look into your wedding day timeline provides the added advantage of freeing up more time between the ceremony and reception for group photographs, mingling, or even some quiet moments together as a newly-married couple.
Tips for Making the First Look Extra Special
To ensure your First Look is memorable and poignant, consider the following suggestions:
1. Selecting the Perfect Location: Choosing a secluded, beautiful setting for your First Look not only adds to the privacy of the moment but also provides a stunning backdrop for your photographs. Discuss potential locations with your wedding photographer to ensure the perfect spot is captured.
2. Building Anticipation: For maximum impact, consider arranging for you and your partner to approach one another from opposite directions, with a brief pause before turning to face each other. This build-up of anticipation ensures that the emotions experienced during the First Look are genuine and impactful.
3. Personalising the Moment: Tailor your First Look to suit your personalities and relationship, incorporating any quirks or unique qualities that define you as a couple. Perhaps share heartfelt letters beforehand or exchange meaningful gifts to add an element of personalisation to this special routine.
4. Timing Is Everything: Coordinate with your wedding photographer to ensure that you allocate ample time in your wedding day schedule for your First Look. This ensures a relaxed, unrushed atmosphere, allowing you to fully embrace the emotions and significance of the moment.
Incorporating a First Look into Your Wedding Photography Package
Your wedding photographer plays a crucial role in documenting the magic of your First Look. Here are some considerations in capturing the beauty of this moment:
1. Expertise: Ensure that your wedding photographer understands the desired outcome and focuses on non-staged moments. Meachen & Shorey Photography, based in Hertfordshire, pride themselves on a natural, documentary-style approach, guaranteeing the enchantment of your First Look is beautifully recorded.
2. Communication: Keep an open dialogue with your wedding photographer in the lead-up to your wedding day, discussing the logistics, style and preferences for your First Look. Building a strong rapport with your photographer ensures your vision is understood and delivered to perfection.
3. Flexibility: Should plans change on the day, your wedding photographer must be adaptable and able to problem-solve on the spot. The unexpected can often heighten emotions and provide treasured memories – ensure your photographer is prepared to adjust accordingly.
Conclusion: Adding a Touch of Magic with a First Look
Incorporating a First Look into your wedding day creates a deeply personal moment that you and your partner will cherish for a lifetime. Collaborate with expert wedding photographers like Meachen & Shorey Photography, who are experienced in capturing these intimate moments.
If you’re looking for a skilled and experienced wedding photographer in Hertfordshire, look no further than Meachen & Shorey Photography. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for capturing the magic of your special day, we ensure you’ll be thrilled with our services. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you create lasting memories of your wedding day.